.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Twa Corbies*

Readers with exceptionally long and accurate memories may recall me mentioning more than twelve months ago that I have long wished to explore the cemetery on Smithdown Road. (I now know that its official name is the Toxteth Park cemetery.)



Now that I am (relatively) as fit as a flea - i.e. all the acupuncture I have had has got me back to approximately where I was four years ago: a point, I should add, at which I thought I was as impaired as it was tolerable to be - I decided to take advantage of the good weather this morning and finally make good on my promise to myself.



It is rather unfortunate that I didn't see the sign which said no photographs were to be taken without permission until after I had taken more than fifty photographs. Having said that, I did encounter various members of groundskeeping staff, none of whom seemed to be remotely perturbed by the sight of my camera. And I did take great care to avoid taking pictures of any of the modern graves, particularly those which are still well-tended.



A selection of the photographs I took is in my Flickr stream, which you can access via the rather flashy gadget to the left of the page. (If you hadn't already noticed that it had recently started to flash up photographs of things other than superlambananas, you may now understand why I haven't been keeping up with my blog very well of late. I may be fit as a flea, but I don't have enough spoons to wander about, camera in hand, and blog.) But I digress.



So, anyway, I've decided there's a lot to be said for cremation. Because, apparently, if you choose burial, and your nearest and dearest cobble together the money for a fine headstone for your grave, that headstone will eventually fall over and become a birdbath for some pretty sinister-looking carrion crows. Which is probably not what you or your grieving family had in mind, really...







* It's a Scottish song.

The Editor

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lady Bracknell,

I am so glad that I found your delightful blog. It was my daughter Valerie (SugarPanda on etsy) who alerted me to it. Your stories are most interesting and we love your sense of humor. My daughter and I have both bookmarked your blog, and will read it often.

Your friend,
Vandiva

2:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, your photos are delightful, thought provoking and wonderous. Thanks so much for sharing them with the world.

I've tagged you. Please see my blog for details. Your photos are meant to be seen!

2:48 am  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Welcome, Vandiva and offspring: very glad to see you here :-)

7:12 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Curses! I've been tagged!

I mean, er, oo, I've been tagged: how exciting! I love being tagged.

No, but seriously. Thank you. I shall have a think.

7:14 pm  
Blogger Supermouse said...

Lovely photograph, thanks.

I love corvids. Sinister, sneaky, inventive creatures that they are. I am now thinking of being buried under a birdbath.

5:13 am  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

That made me laugh very loudly very early in the morning!

Spookily, I had also just found this, which I imagine would appeal to you greatly...

7:08 am  
Blogger DD said...

Is there anybody famous planted there?

There is a truly gloomy & spooky cemetery in Macduff, some graves are medieval, many are decorated with skeletons.

We once spent a dark, stormy afternoon wandering around, it was great!

I thought I had some photos but I can't find them just now.

10:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's a good picture but there's no need to crow.

I've never witnessed such a carry-on!

1:23 am  
Blogger Scriptor Senex said...

I've been to most of the cemeteries around where you (and I) live and have never once been asked not to take photos. I just love the scope they offer. If you can get to it, the overgrown cemetery at Walton (top of Rawcliffe Road, off Rice Lane) is fantastic.

7:23 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Oo, maybe....

Yes, it might be possible to get to that one by train.

Thank you: I am looking for new places to which to travel with my camera.

7:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home