.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Theft

Shamelessly half-inched from the redoubtable Funky Mango, I bring you this rather entertaining Wiki-meme:-


1. Go to Wikipedia.
2. In the Search box, type the month and day (but not the year) of your birth.
3. Choose three events that happened on your birthday.
4. Choose two important birthdays and one interesting death.
5. Post it.

My birthday is 30th March


Events

1858 - Hymen Lipman patents a pencil with an attached eraser.

1979 - Airey Neave is killed by a car bomb as he exits the Palace of Westminster.

1997 - Television Channel Five is launched by the Spice Girls as the fifth British terrestrial television channel.


Births

1853 - Vincent van Gogh

1950 - Robbie Coltrane


Death

2002 - Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, Queen Mother*



*It just so happens that I have photographic evidence of the news of the Queen Mother's death being received by mobile phone during my 40th birthday party. No, I'm afraid to say that we didn't stop the party...

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My birthday is on July 7th.

Events:
1456 - A retrial verdict acquits Joan of Arc of heresy 25 years after her death.
1917 - Russian Revolution: Prince Georgy Yevgenyevich Lvov forms Provisional Government in Russia after the deposing of the Tsar Nicholas II.
1947 - Downed UFO believed to be found in the Roswell UFO incident.

Births:
1860 - Gustav Mahler
1940 - Ringo Starr

Deaths:
2006 - Syd Barrett

1:15 pm  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Ah, Lady Bracknell, you have destroyed the image of a venerable and elderly matron I had created in my own head. Though I would still count you wise dignified, you are, in fact, 24 days younger than myself! And I am not elderly. Not venerable or wise either, but I make do.

And my meme of this can be found
here.

3:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Half-inched"???

Righty-ho! Hands up any of our colonial readers who know what that means.

I mean! Honestly!! I know this is supposed to be a quintessentially English blog, but really!!!

A peck of Marmite to the first correct answer from a foreigner.

3:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes. I knew there was something else...

My birthdate is 16th July.

Events:

1862 - Comet Swift-Tuttle discovered;
1930 - First constitution of Ethiopia signed by Haile Selassie;
1951 - King Léopold III of Belgium abdicates in favour of his son, Baudouin I (also of Belgium)

Births:
Shoeless Joe Jackson - 1889
Apichatpong Weerasethakul - 1970

Death:
Anne of Cleves - 1557 (3 minutes to 4 p.m.)

5:23 pm  
Blogger Jess said...

'Half inched' rhymes with 'pinched' which means 'stolen'. I know this thanks to a childhood spent fervently pursuing English fiction. For the record, I'm either a first or fifth generation American (born of American parents but, er, not actually in the US).

Now...where's my marmite?

8:40 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Dude,

I believe you are hoist by your own petard.

Make with the peck of Marmite. Like now.

8:44 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Alexandra,

Lady Bracknell is considerably older than you and me.

But she has been driven away by my current medication regime.

I am but a young whippernsapper of an editor, and can't compete with her maturity and gravitas.

8:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am nothing if not a man of my word (OK, I am nothing – it’s a fair cop)!

I have no doubt about her alien provenance – the use of words like “bucks” or “dollars” in her own blog to indicate units of currency, to say nothing of “meters” to describe length, convinces me that she is not “one of us”. So, should the fair Lady care to remit her postal address to Lady Bracknell’s hotmail account, I will ensure that a suitable quantity of this most delightful and particularly English comestible is despatched forthwith across land and sea to her place of residence.

Dude

9:45 am  
Blogger Jess said...

*blinkblink*

...really? Wow. I was joking. But I'm hardly going to turn you down! Is there any sort of knitted object or American delicacy you'd like in return? (Don't ask for American cheese. I'd have to fill out all sorts of permits for the transport of hazardous chemicals.)

And...wait, you've read my blog? Someone other than Kara reads my blog? I think I need to sit down. I feel all dizzy-like. Perhaps I ought to post something else on the poor neglected thing.

Gosh. I've always wondered what Marmite tastes like. Vegemite, too.

Now I just need to get an Australian to loose a bet with me...

6:03 pm  
Blogger Jess said...

Ah, and to address a point of ettiquette:

I, being a member of a nation devoid of formally recognized aristocracy, am not a lady. I am Lady. To wit, my name is Lady, while my position is considerable lower-like.

(Actually, my name is Jessica. Want to guess the most common female name in the year of my birth? I much prefer 'Lady'.)

6:06 pm  
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Yes and I remember The Accountant and I shouting at the radio on the way home from Oop Norf at the inane comments about the Queen Mum. Not being royalists we wanted an alternative view on her life.

She did have lovely teeth though.

1:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home