.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Have yourself a merry little Seahorse moment

M'learned colleague, the Seahorse, encourages her readers to use "beauty as an antidote to ugliness in everyday life".

Well, I've discovered an easy way to get yourself a Seahorse Moment every day.

This is how you do it:



1. Go to Rare Bird Finds.


2. Subscribe to their emails.


(See? I told you it was easy.)


Every evening, just before bedtime*, they'll send you a charming email containing pictures of the fab and unusual things they've found that day. (They call them "gift ideas". They have clearly failed to take into account my propensity to buy fab things for myself.)

You won't want all of them. Which is probably just as well because, if you're based anywhere other than in the US, there's a reasonable likelihood that you wouldn't be able to buy half of them even if you did want them. But that doesn't mean you won't enjoy looking at them. Or appreciate the people who have designed and/or made them.

I stumbled on their rather wonderful site when I was Googling for images of blue morpho butterflies (as you do). Lo and behold, I discovered that they had had the remarkably good taste last August to feature the Blue Morpho Butterfly Wing necklace made by the lovely Neile C and sold through Etsy.com

I've been looking for an excuse to post a photo of this for ages. I've had mine a couple of months now, and it is just the most beautiful piece of jewellery I've ever seen. The photo doesn't do it justice because the camera can't capture the irridescence of the wing.

Neile's pendants are very reasonably-priced, and she'll happily post them to the UK for a modest fee. Most importantly of all, she is lovely.

Before you step back in horror and accuse me of supporting the practice of tearing the wings off live, screaming butterflies (yeah, thanks for that, Mr Melbamae), I should point out that the butterflies have lived through their entire life cycle, and the wings aren't removed until after they've died of natural causes. There's more information about the benefits of butterfly farming here.

Do feel entirely free to order one of these beautiful items from Neile, even though I found her first. Just never wear it to the same event as me. Particularly if you are Boogaloo Dude.

The Editor



* That's bedtime if you live in the UK and you consider 10 pm to be a suitable time to retire to bed.



Post script

In related news, those searching after unusual gift items from small, independent sellers may be interested to know that the summer sale has just started over on Not On The High Street dot com. Some items are 75% off. This might very easily have found itself in my basket if I had thought for a moment it might be big enough.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kerrio said...

Ah.. sporty... no no spotty, I mean spotty.

6:33 pm  
Blogger DD said...

"Just never wear it to the same event as me. Particularly if you are Boogaloo Dude."

If he does, can we have a photo? Please?

8:14 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

A word to the wise, Dame Honoria: the present Mrs Dude has been known to read this blog on occasion.

I am therefore unsure whether it would be appropriate for me to encourage this dalliance between you and the Dude.

Particularly if it means I have to lend him my necklace, photograph him wearing it, and publish a close-up of his chest.

8:23 pm  
Blogger DD said...

The Hon also reads this blog. I fear my motive has been misunderstood. I was looking forward to a picture of the editor and Mr Dude in matching necklaces (without chest closeups).

8:40 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

I see...

I think I can safely say - without fear of contradiction - that the Dude values his anonymity far too highly to permit an above-the-chest photograph of himself to be published here.

Although, there are some photographs of his (ahem) manly visage lurking in obscure corners of the interwebnet.

Of course, I would never reveal their location. Oh no. Well, not without a very considerable bribe...

8:45 pm  
Blogger seahorse said...

That is indeed a very beautiful piece of jewellery. Merry little Seahorse moment indeed. This merry little Seahorse is trying to locate the whereabouts of a mystery pool of cat pee at present. That blasted feline. Think I may exchange him for a Selkirk.

10:36 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

You might not if you'd had to separate a Selkirk from his intended thrush-flavoured brekkie yesterday, and had to put up with the consequent sulking of a Cat Denied...

10:39 pm  
Blogger seahorse said...

These high maintenance felines.I don't know. But I have held back from writing a post on cat urine. Now that just wouldn't be on.

11:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice recovery there Dame Honoria. They'll never suspect a thing ;<)

Of course, if you did uncover my true identity, I would have to take steps to ensure you could never divulge this information to my enemies, lest my fellow employees at the Daily Planet find themselves the targets of villainous threats.

There, I've probably said too much already!

As for the jewellery, I tend not to favour such large or gaudy items as butterfly wings or peacock feathers. This is largely due to the fact that they get in the way at crucial moments, but also because they clash with the spandex leotard and tights which I must wear when "on duty".

I normally just wear a short chain with a bijou lead-lined platinum capsule containing a small fragment of my home planet.

2:07 am  
Blogger DD said...

It would appear Lady Bracknell has embraced the avant-garde in designing the staff uniforms, "spandex leotard and tights" with bijou jewellery is certainly innovative, not to say courageous, livery for a chauffeur.

Has Her Ladyship considered entering this creation for the Turner Prize?

1:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home