.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Monday, November 27, 2006

She may very well pass for forty-three in the dusk with a light behind her

I've been meaning to write up a credits entry for The Outfit for a while now and, even though I can't find a photograph which shows all the elements of it off to perfection, once I have an idea firmly fixed in my mind, it takes a lot of shifting

So here I am in Hotel Algernon, waiting for the off. (The dates and times on the pictures taken on Algernon's camera are slightly out: it was the 17th of November and it was 8.59 am.)

So, from top down, we start with the magnificent hat made for me by Sara from Hatrageous. (Yes, Sara, I know I'm wearing it too far back on my head in this picture. I put that right for the ceremony, honest...)

The Hatrageous website is no longer with us, unfortunately (problems with the ISP). Anyone wanting contact details for Sara is welcome to email me on Lady Bracknell's hotmail address which you can find by clicking on the appropriate "contact me" link.

I highly recommend Sara's services. She really knows what she's talking about when it comes to the right style of hat for each customer. If you don't think you suit hats, she'll prove you wrong. (I almost said, "She'll make you eat your hat", but I restrained my wilder impulses.) As you can see, if you give Sara a swatch of outfit fabric, she will colour match it perfectly. And all for considerably less than you would be charged for an off-the-peg hat in your local department store. Worth every penny.



The specs are from ProDesign and were glazed for me by Mark Blankstone.

Earrings by Swarovski.

Violet Swarovski heart pendant from Whitewolf Jewellery.

Silk scarf (available in several different colours) from this eBay seller.

Purple stick from - who else? - Clear Canes.

The wonderful faux suede jacket is the Modigliani from Razzberry Bazaar. I can't praise the ladies at this shop enough. They were extremely tolerant of my feverish panicking, and always an absolute delight to talk to. They assured me that the fabric the jacket was made from would be ideal for a long day's celebrating, and they weren't wrong: I wore it for more than twelve hours and it emerged from the ordeal completely unscathed.

The handbag - which you can see in this photo - is from Gregory's Leather Ltd.

Finally, the frock (now discontinued) is from Sixteen47.

If all those links work, no-one will be more surprised than me...


The Editor

7 Comments:

Blogger marmiteboy said...

I can assure The Editor's readership that the outfit was spectacular and suited the lady very well.

7:50 am  
Blogger BloggingMone said...

I have read all of the London Stories with great interest. It surely must have been a great event! The Outfit and The Hat are spectacular. Her Lady (or is it her ladyship in this case??? We do not have any Ladies around...) may be interested to know that she could be a sister of a friend of mine in Finland, who is even sharing her passion for sensational outfits.

11:51 am  
Blogger Mary said...

Phew! What a lot of reading!

I'm so glad you had a good time :)

11:53 am  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Mone,

Thank you for your kind words about The Outfit - it took months to pull it all together.

I gather that there is greater availability of dramatic clothes for large women in Finland than there is in the UK, where slenderness and a petite frame are worshipped. Over here, we're expected to fade humbly into the background wearing polyester tents in drab colours as befits our status as social outcasts!

12:38 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Sorry, Mary - I'm afraid there's more to come yet.

I think more things have happened to me in the last fortnight than in the previous two years put together.

Don't worry, though - I'm sure I'll be back to my usual humdrum existence (of work interspersed with resting) very soon ;-)

12:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - what a splendid Outfit!

3:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An excellent example of good taste and decorum, topped not only with a wonderfull example of the milliners art but also a smile worthy of the lady herself.

The editor(?) is to be congratulated all around!!

11:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home