.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Friday, November 30, 2007

Is it a scarf...?

There's a line from Coupling - not a programme I generally associate with a high laugh per minute count, it has to be said - which has always stuck in my mind.

The character whose name may or may not have been Jack, when dragged reluctantly round a home furnishings store by his inamorata, at one point expostulates, "Cushions are fat litter!"



I mention this only because my Blossom In Winter scarf, which arrived today, is a fat necklace.



Or, if you will, soft-sculpted jewellery.



I've seen knitted scarves which are intended to be worn as jewellery before and, quite honestly, I wouldn't give any of them house-room. They remind me of string vests which have been put through the mangle too many times. They're thin and feeble and far too reminiscent of the deplorable 1970s fascination with macrame.



And, as a general rule of thumb, I simply don't do girly, flowery stuff.



But I fell for this scarf the moment I saw it. Admittedly, I am hugely swayed by the fact that it is made from silk velvet: if there is a more tactile, plushy, luxurious fabric than silk velvet in existence, I have yet to discover it.



But it's also such a clever and original design: a long, rambling vine of roses, each of which is sitting on top of its own little crop of leaf-lets. I'm no seamstress, admittedly, but I can recognise intricate, fiddly work when I see it.



And all for a mere £26, including shipping from Thailand.



I haven't blogged about this as a form of gloating, though. "Ha! I have a fat necklace, and you haven't!") No, I've blogged about it because Vichuta has listed another one on Etsy. Which means that you, dear Reader, could buy it. For yourself. Or, if you were feeling very strong and you are good at the self-denial stuff, as a gift for someone else.




The Editor

6 Comments:

Blogger fluttertongue said...

Now that looks like a luxurious way to adorn one's neck. One of those things that no matter how crummy you feel, you'd still feel elegant wearing it.

Congratulations on a wise purchase.

8:29 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Admit it: you want one... ;-)

10:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love it. I'm also extremely fond of this:

Star of the East's "Garden of Eden"

I don't think I could carry off either look, but I do admire them both.

1:27 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Oh, how wonderful!

No, I don't think I could carry that off, either.

Shame.

1:46 pm  
Blogger Lekzýs said...

I simply must admit that is a beautiful scarf, and it being silk velvet makes it all the more desirable.
Naturally, being male does indeed severely limit any chance I have of wearing such an item - I do prefer to avoid the staring of others whenever possible - so I, alas, shall be forever limited to simply admiring its aesthetic beauty in picture form only.

PS: In case you were questioning it, I am the same Aleksi that has, in the past, posted comments on your blog.

11:27 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Well, I assumed you were... ;-)

6:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home